Thursday 12 January 2012

Do You Get 8 Healthy Hours of Sleep A Night?

I'm sure you're all aware that you're mean to be getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night, it's been to be healthier and help you mentally! 

It's a well known fact in my family that my brother is always asleep, literally... and I'm always awake, almost literally. Back when I was at school I had incredibly bad insomnia... that was back in 2008 / 2009 when it wasn't normal to speak about it! Back then, I used to be awake 5 nights of the week, Sunday to Thursday as I had the dreaded thought of going to school the next day... as you can tell I didn't have a very nice school experience. 

Anyways, it's completely changed now... I go to bed super early but struggle to stay asleep. So when my brother came across this iPhone App I couldn't wait to try it out (don't worry if you don't have an iPhone you can still carry on reading this) It's called Sleep Cycle. All you have to do is plug your phone in, set the alarm and turn your phone upside down... and sleep... or try to at least! It calculates the amount of hours / minutes that you've been sleeping, it makes a chart of when you were in light sleep, sleep and deep sleep and another thing... It has this weird alarm thingy that goes on for 30 minutes before you need to wake up so instead of suddenly waking up you wake up in light sleep as it's prepared you for it... I have to tell you it's so weird! The first day I woke up with it counting down from 12... didn't have a clue what it was - I've since worked out it was 12 seconds until the actual alarm goes off! Amazzzingggg 

Here's my charts


This was the first night that I used it; looks like I had a really good night sleep 2bh! It shows that I had 7 hours 14 minutes of sleep in total, I was only in deep sleep twice during the night which totaled to be less than an hour.. not normal! It also shows that I went to bed at 11:12 pm and got out of bed at 6: 27 am. My brother had a dead straight line in deep sleep for 7 hours... what a difference! 


Once again, pretty good night sleep - although it did take me 2 hours to actually get into deep sleep but I stayed like that for the rest of the night!... Getting up at 6: 04 am. 


This is normal for me, being awake most of the night... which in all honesty really isn't good at all as I should be getting at least 8 hours sleep a night but in all of these I've had about 6 hours... 


This one is the last one to show you, this was last night. I find it weird how when I fell asleep I went straight into deep sleep... and I also woke up in deep sleep! And, as it says on average the last 4 nights I've been getting 6 hours 41 minutes of sleep a night - which I really want to improve on. 

Hopefully I'll be able to go food shopping tomorrow and I'm going experiment what happens to my sleeping habbits when I go on an extremely healthy diet (not an actual diet just eating lots of healthy homemade soups etc yummmyummyummmm) 

Check out my facebook!?!?! http://www.facebook.com/ytdmgxoxo

1 comment:

  1. Nice post.Jus now found ur blog.I'm a new follower.Hope u check our mine too and follow back:)
    http://prettyprincesspage.blogspot.in/
    https://www.facebook.com/prettyprincesspage

    ReplyDelete